Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Terrible (and creepy) Tom Tuesday

Even though I'm not feeling the whole blog thing today, I figured I should continue what I started. Today's reading is one of my favorite sections of Tom's essay. You'll soon see why. Click here to get the background on this segment.

Note: Having grown up in a Christian home, there are a few things here and there that I kinda agree with, but I don't agree with his overall philosophy. He takes things too far and out of context and has an extremely old fashioned view of things, which is why he's creepy.

I am looking for someone who makes every day lovelier just by being there (well, that just goes without saying). She has a sweet, tender heart, and her life touches those around her. She loves to create beauty in her world. She has a character of elegance, tenderness, softness, inter- dependence, and has the goals of being a loving wife and nurturing mother. She rejects the traits of ferocity, arrogance, independence (well, I'm ferociously independent. Take that, creepy Tom.), and the goal of being a liberated woman as modern society defines it (boo).

We as a culture have undermined the traits that make a woman a woman, and have devalued the importance of motherly love (have we, really?). I am looking for a woman who strongly rejects those false notions, and has instead fully embraced her femininity, womanhood, and future motherhood. A feminine woman’s first priorities in life are to be faithful and loving to her husband, to live her life to please him and to serve him (I beg to differ)—the same relationship we as a Church have to Christ.

In the same way, a masculine man's first priorities are to protect and care for his wife, to live with her in an understanding, considerate way, to respect her as the weaker vessel (I have NO words) and as his co- heir to eternal life, to be faithful and loving toward her, and to live his life to please and serve her (well, at least he's being somewhat fair)—the same relationship Christ has with us, His Bride.

Take a minute to soak it all in.

Discuss amongst yourselves (imagine Linda Richmond saying this...).

Tomorrow I will be another year older. The jury's still out on whether I'll be another year wiser...

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. I can't even reply. Creepster.

    And happy early birthday Liz! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete